Last Updated: December 29, 2020
Big-box stores are convenient, popular, and (of course) very big. At major hardware stores like Lowe’s and Home Depot, you can find just about anything you need to start a home renovation project: lawn equipment, basic tools, paints and stains, lumber, flooring, lighting fixtures, and even holiday decor. However, should you buy a fencing system from one of these big-box stores? Do they offer the same quality and value as PolyVinyl and PolyRail fencing systems? Or are their fencing systems sub-par, despite being convenient? Before you make this major investment, be sure to investigate your options thoroughly. Otherwise, you might be stuck with a nasty case of buyer’s remorse.
PolyVinyl and PolyRail Fencing Systems vs. Big Box Stores
PolyRail Fencing vs. Big-Box Stores
Big-box stores are great for many things, but they may not be the ideal places to purchase fencing systems. Yes, you might find inexpensive fences at those stores, but they can’t match the value or the quality offered by professional fencing companies. Our best advice: don’t purchase your new fence from Home Depot or Lowe’s just because you can drive there in less than 20 minutes. Remember that this fence is an investment in your home. You want a fencing system that will remain strong and beautiful for decades to come – so do you really want to go with the cheaper option?
PolyRail vs. Big-Box Stores: Fencing Durability
Sacrificing durability for convenience is never a good idea. When it comes to longevity, PolyRail fencing systems can’t be beat thanks to features like UV protection and structural strength. These features are especially important if you live in an area prone to volatile weather conditions.
- UV Protection: PolyVinyl and PolyRail fencing systems both have UV protection built in to their extrusions to prevent fading. Fences from big-box stores, on the other hand, typically do not offer protection from the sun. Over time, these fences will lose their beauty and vividness, especially if you live in a warm climate with a lot of sun.
- Fence Thickness: Take a look at the wall thickness of the fence posts and rails. PolyVinyl and PolyRail systems are thick and strong, so no wood posts are required. Although wall thickness is not a true measure of a fence’s strength or performance, a flimsy fence is obviously not ideal. A thicker fence will also stand up better to harsh weather, accidental impact, and other factors. When you’re shopping for a fence, be sure to assess the ingredients within the vinyl, and look for a product with a history of proven performance.
- Strength: Thickness aside, aluminum can also strengthen the structure of a vinyl fence. PolyVinyl and PolyRail systems have rails and gate posts with aluminum reinforcement, creating stronger sections, and their aluminum-reinforced frames prevent sagging. These features are not always available in big-box fencing systems.
PolyRail vs. Big-Box Stores: Customization
If you need a customized fencing system, don’t expect the big-box stores to accommodate your requests. Consult with a fencing pro to order your fence, so that you can select custom sizes and designs. Although standard fencing systems in common sizes and designs work for many consumers, perhaps you need an atypical fence. Customizable features can include everything from racking capability to fence width.
- Racking Capability: Building a fence on a slope can be tricky, so if your land isn’t flat, a racking feature is essential. PolyVinyl and PolyRail fencing systems offer routed posts, which enable racking to follow the slope of the ground. Unlike a stepped fence (which “steps up” at each section like stairs), a racked fence will not have gaps; the bottom edge of the fence will be an equal distance from the land throughout, closely following the slope. This keeps your fence looking uniform and functioning properly.
- Widths: Most styles of PolyVinyl and PolyRail fences include sections that are available in eight-foot widths. Although some consumers won’t be interested in this feature, others will appreciate the option because it eliminates the need for additional posts. Either way, customizable options like this one can make the difference between a temporary fix and the kind of fence you’ll keep around for decades.
While you certainly want to invest in a durable, long-lasting fence, there are several other features you’ll want to consider before you make your purchase. Factors like a strong warranty aren’t always a given at big-box stores like Lowe’s or Home Depot.
- Replacements: Occasionally, you may find that a component of your fence needs to be replaced, whether that’s because of damage or general wear. Unfortunately, big-box stores will only sell individual components within a complete section. A professional fencing company will be able to assist you by replacing single components, saving you money and adding to your fence’s overall longevity.
- Warranty: A flimsy fence and a weak warranty is a risky combination. A strong warranty is key to protecting your investment. PolyVinyl and PolyRail fencing systems both come with a lifetime transferable warranty to give you peace of mind. A warranty will reduce your fears and give you confidence in your fence’s future.
Would you rather buy a fencing system from a faceless big-box store, or an experienced fencing professional? Exactly. Fencing professionals at companies like ours are dedicated to producing and selling quality products, not cheap and convenient fencing. Don’t limit yourself to the products offered at the Home Depot. Explore the beautiful, reliable, and customizable options offered by professional fencing companies. Plus, companies like ours can offer experienced service professionals to walk you through any quibbles before, during, and after purchasing your fence.
Interested in adding a vinyl fence to your property? Don’t head to the massive hardware store down the street. Instead, check out the selection offered at MMC Fencing & Railing. You might be interested in our PolyVinyl or PolyRail fencing systems. Both of these options are affordable, beautiful, and virtually maintenance-free. Plus, all of our vinyl fencing systems come with a transferable lifetime limited warranty! To get started, please visit our online store, request a quote, or give us a call at 1-866-931-5002.