Installing a railing or handrail seems like it should be straightforward, but depending on where you’re trying to attach it, you might have more of a problem than you bargained for. Have you ever tried to attach a railing to a round column? If you have, you might be wondering how to use round column adapters.
How to Use Round Column Adapters
Installing a good railing is essential to ensuring your guests’ safety, whether in a home or business. However, installing a railing on an existing structure can introduce complications. Structures like brick walls or columns can be challenging to work with because they weren’t designed with railings in mind. If you’ve been giving yourself a headache trying to install a railing on or around a column, you might wonder if there’s an easier way to do it. Learn how to use round column adapters, and you’ll be able to handle the project in a snap.
Why Are Round Column Adapters Useful?
What is a round column adapter? Simply put, it’s an adaptive bracket that creates a solid, flat surface on a column that allows a handrail to be solidly attached. There are several situations where a home handyperson may find these tools to be helpful:
- Legislation that mandates the installation of handrails, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), has specific requirements for when and how handrails should be installed. Using round column adapters lets you put railings exactly where they are required in the building, even in an environment that isn’t suited to them.
- There are methods to attach a railing to a column without an adapter, but they require advanced woodworking skills. A round column adapter can securely attach a railing to a column without a complicated woodworking project.
- You shouldn’t have to choose between safety and aesthetics when installing a railing. A round column adapter easily adapts a column to accommodate a railing while blending seamlessly into your existing hardware. It looks good, and it works great.
How Can I Use One in My Project?
Using a round column adapter may look complicated, but the basic process is relatively simple. The installation will vary depending on the adapter you use, so be sure to refer to the manufacturer’s documentation for more specific instructions:
- Select the round column adapter that is appropriate to your project. MMC Fencing and Railing offers adapters for 8-inch or 10-inch diameter columns, for both stair railings and hand railings (or level railings).
- Be sure your railing is the correct length before installation. Your railing needs to allow enough room for the width of the round column adapter to sit snugly between the column and the railing when installed.
- Attach the round column adapter to the column, using the hardware provided. If installed correctly, your round column adapter should have a level, flat surface facing outwards to allow railing installation.
- Once the round column adapter is solidly installed, attach your railing as you would onto any other flat surface.
Round column adapters are only one of the many tools you can use to make a complex railing installation a piece of cake. Are you looking for more tips and tricks? Call the experts at MMC Fencing and Railings, and we’ll help you find exactly what you need to complete any project.
When you need an expert who can help you select a new railing or browse railing accessories, MMC Fencing & Railing is here for you. In our online shop, we sell aluminum and vinyl railing in a variety of styles and colors. So no matter what you’re looking for and no matter how large or small your budget, you’re sure to find something beautiful. Give us a call at 866-931-5002 to get started or to ask about installation options. We look forward to hearing from you!