People choose aluminum fences because they’re beautiful, durable, and require little maintenance. However, if you want to keep your fence looking its best, it’s a good idea to be ready to put some work into it. Luckily, the basics of aluminum fence maintenance couldn’t be easier to learn.
Aluminum Fence Maintenance
When you ask someone why they purchased an aluminum fence for their home or business, they usually have plenty of reasons to share. One of the most common reasons people invest in aluminum fences is that they are easy to maintain, especially compared to wood and other fencing materials. However, easy maintenance doesn’t mean zero maintenance. The good news is that aluminum fence maintenance is easy, and your efforts will pay off in a great-looking fence that protects your property for decades.
How to Keep an Aluminum Fence Clean
Keeping a fence clean may not seem like an essential part of maintaining it, but think again. While the elements can’t harm aluminum fences, they can be made unsightly and less functional by build-ups of dirt and grime. Keeping your aluminum fence clean is a quick and easy way to keep it looking and functioning at its best:
- Since aluminum fences are typically powder-coated, they are easy to keep looking neat and tidy. All you have to do is spray down your fence with water regularly. You can allow it to air dry or wipe it down with a soft cloth.
- If there are stubborn stains or grime that water will not remove, you can take care of them with dish soap and a soft cloth. In some cases, a gentle cleaning solution with a degreaser can also be effective. Be sure to rinse any cleaner away thoroughly once you’re done.
- The frequency at which you need to clean your fence largely depends on the area in which you live. If you live somewhere where there are likely particles in the air, such as a coastal or industrial area, you might need to spray your fence down once a week or so. In other areas, once a month should suffice.
How to Keep an Aluminum Fence Well-Maintained
Keeping your fence clean is a matter of routine, and so is keeping it functional. It’s unlikely you’ll have to do much to your fence other than washing it, but taking a little time now and then to make sure its parts are in working order will lengthen its lifespan:
- It’s a good idea to give your fence a deep clean once a year. Start by weeding the area around the fence posts. Once that is complete, use a soft cloth and gentle cleanser to wipe down all of the different parts of the fence. Finish by rinsing the fence clean and allowing it to air dry.
- While deep-cleaning your fence, look at the fence’s hardware and ensure it’s in good working order. Be sure to oil any hinges, and make sure that the fence’s latch shuts firmly. You can also check the fence posts to ensure they’re firmly planted. If any hardware needs to be replaced, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for your fence.
- Powder coating can occasionally oxidize in direct sunlight, resulting in a barely-visible chalky residue. If this affects the appearance of your fence, consider using car wax to polish it back to its natural shine.
Aluminum fence maintenance is an easy way to keep your fence looking great for years. Add a fence deep-clean to your spring cleaning calendar this year.
When you need an expert who can help you check your measurements, select a new railing, or browse railing accessories, MMC Fencing & Railing is here for you. In our online shop, we sell aluminum and vinyl railing in a variety of styles and colors. So no matter what you’re looking for and no matter how large or small your budget, you’re sure to find something beautiful. Give us a call at 866-931-5002 to get started or to ask about installation options. We look forward to hearing from you!