How much difference does the right fence height make in your backyard? Just ask anybody who accidentally bought a fence with the wrong one! So, what is standard fence height? And how do you know what fence height is right for your home or business?
What Is Standard Fence Height?
One of the most important things to determine when you’re purchasing a new fence is the height you need. Fence height may not seem like that big of a deal, but it can significantly impact your hardware’s functionality. What is standard fence height? It depends on what kind of fence you’re looking for.
Different Fences, Different Standard Heights
Selecting a fence would probably be easier if a one-size-fits-all height worked for every situation. However, there isn’t a single “standard” height one can rely on when selecting the fence that they need. Instead, determining which standard fence height you’re looking for depends on several factors, the most important of which is the intended purpose of the fence:
- A fence height of three feet is appropriate for most front yards. This height offers protection and makes the boundaries of your property clear, but it also won’t block a passerby’s view of the home and landscaping.
- A fence height of six feet is preferable for most backyards. The additional height offers more privacy and security than the front yard fence.
- Regardless of where your pool is located, it should be protected from the rest of your property by a locked fence that can prevent trespassers and unexpected guests from using it without your knowledge. This is why a pool fence should have a height of at least four feet.
- If you’re using your fence to contain a dog, the height of the fence depends mainly on the dog’s breed. Most dogs are unable to jump over a four-foot-high fence. However, some larger dog breeds, like German Shepherds, require a fence height of at least six feet.
- If you rely on a fence to keep invasive animals like deer out of your property, you’ll need a fence height that can prevent jumping and climbing. A fence height of eight feet will prevent deer and most other animals from disturbing your yard.
- The size of a privacy fence also depends on the size of your property and what height is required to block your neighbor’s views. A height of eight feet will work for most privacy fences.
If There’s No Standard Fence Height, How Do I Know Which One Will Work For Me?
As you can see from the list above, a lot of nuance goes into choosing a “standard” fence height. A fence of between four and six feet will work in most situations, which is why these fence heights are the ones most commonly sold. However, if you aren’t sure if that’s the right fence height for you, don’t hesitate to reach out to a sales professional. They can help you sort through all of your options and find the perfect solution.
Who knew something as simple as a standard fence height could be so complicated? If you need help with the ins and outs of your fence purchase, reach out to the professionals at MMC Fencing and Railing.
When you need an expert to help you check your measurements, select a new railing, or browse railing accessories, MMC Fencing & Railing is here. In our online shop, we sell aluminum and vinyl railing in a variety of styles and colors. So, no matter what you’re looking for and no matter how large or small your budget, you’re sure to find something beautiful. Call us at 866-931-5002 to get started or ask about installation options. We look forward to hearing from you!