If you want your home to be the headquarters for summer fun, nothing does it quite like having a backyard pool. However, if you don’t take the time to learn about pool safety, that fun might end in an injury or worse. One of the most important pieces of safety equipment you can buy is a pool fence. But what is a pool fence, and why do you need one?
What Is a Pool Fence?
Fences have a lot of uses for a modern homeowner. They can clearly demarcate your property from your neighbor, they can add a design element to your landscaping, and they can even raise your property values. Ultimately, most people who install fences do so for the sense of safety and security they provide. A solid security fence can give you plenty of peace of mind.
This is especially true when it comes to a pool fence. A pool fence goes around the perimeter of your pool, complete with a locking door that allows a homeowner to have control over access to their pool. A good pool fence will allow you to make sure people are observing pool safety rules when they’re in your backyard, even when you aren’t present.
Why Do I Need One?
If you already have a fence around your property, you may think that adding another fence to the pool area is redundant. However, there are lots of reasons that experts recommend installing one before your first summer barbeque:
- Children love pools, and if a pool is not secured, they may attempt to swim without adult supervision. Unfortunately, this can lead to injuries and even death. A sturdy, locking fence can keep unsupervised children out of your pool and cut down on your risk of liability.
- Children aren’t the only ones at risk when a pool is unsecured. Even adults can act irresponsibly around a pool, especially if alcohol is involved. A pool fence is the easiest way to keep everyone safe and sound.
- Believe it or not, a pool fence might actually be mandatory for your property, depending on where you live. While there is no federal law related to mandating pool fences, many states and localities do have regulations that require them. They are also a common requirement for homeowners’ insurance.
How Can I Choose One?
When it comes to selecting the pool fence for you, safety should be your top priority. Before you start shopping, be sure to familiarize yourself with state and local laws related to pool fences, as well as any specific requirements that may be listed in your insurance policy. Once you know what features your pool fence has to have, you can select a design that includes them and also offers the most security possible:
- Since a pool fence needs to be sturdy to be effective, you should invest in one made of a material that can stand up to the elements. An aluminum fence can provide years of maintenance-free protection, and they’re also an attractive addition to any backyard.
- Height is also a huge consideration since a part of the function of the fence is to prevent people from accessing your pool without your knowledge. A four-foot-tall fence will do the job for most backyards.
- The design of the fence should also prevent people from sneaking underneath the fence or between the fence pickets. Pickets should be close enough together to prevent small children and animals from gaining entry, and the structure should be as close to the ground as possible.
What is a pool fence? It’s an easy way to keep yourself and your loved ones safe from pool-related injuries. Invest in one today, so you can keep having worry-free summer fun.
When you need an expert who can help you select a fence, MMC Fencing & Railing is here for you. In our online shop, we sell aluminum and vinyl railing in a variety of styles and colors. So no matter what you’re looking for and no matter how large or small your budget, you’re sure to find something beautiful. Give us a call at 866-931-5002 to get started or to ask about installation options. We look forward to hearing from you!