With temperatures getting warmer, you might find yourself with a bit of spring fever – and for a lot of homeowners, that means weekends spent on home improvement. Meanwhile, your railing might need a little TLC. If you’ve never replaced your railing – or never installed one in the first place – this spring is a great time to tackle this relatively easy do-it-yourself project. Believe it or not, it’s actually pretty simple to install a railing on your own to upgrade your deck, porch, or balcony. Find out how to install aluminum railing, and start planning your next weekend project.
How to Install Aluminum Railing
Benefits of Aluminum Railing
Before you decide to install your own aluminum railing, you might want to review the benefits. First, aluminum, unlike many other railing materials, isn’t susceptible to corrosion or rust. This makes it a great option for outdoor exposure to ice, snow, rain, and UV rays. Aluminum railings also won’t splinter, twist, shrink, or warp, unlike wood and other more delicate materials. Another bonus: Aluminum railings are essentially maintenance-free, although you may want to hose them down from time to time. And since the aluminum railings in our catalog are powder-coated, not painted, they won’t crack, chip, or peel. Finally, aluminum systems are relatively easy to install. The railings in our store arrive in a kit, which includes just about everything you need to get started.
Step 1: Identify Your Ideal Railing
If you’re excited about the benefits of aluminum railing, it’s time to get started. First, you’ll need to choose your new railing from our catalog. Take a look to determine which kind of railing is ideal for your home or business. Here are a few examples:
- Polyrail TRX Railing: If you’re in the market for a durable railing with classic curb appeal, look no further than PolyRail TRX railing. This railing is stylish, easy to clean, and equipped with reinforced top and bottom rails for added security.
- Westbury Railing: Aesthetic-minded homeowners will love our decorative railings available from Westbury, with plenty of different colors and designs to choose from.
- Continuous Handrail: Continuous railings are a great safety resource, as they’re designed to help the elderly and people with disabilities comfortably walk up and down stairs and ramps. If you live in an area prone to ice and snow, the continuous rail is a key safety feature for every member of your household.
- Screenrail Railing: If you’re tired of dealing with bugs on your deck or porch, consider purchasing ScreenRail, a combination aluminum railing and screen system.
Step 2: Gather Your Hardware
Once you’ve decided on the type of railing you want to install, you need to make sure you have the proper equipment for efficient installation. While all of our railings come equipped with an installation kit, you should have the following items ready to assist during installation:
- Chop saw
- Cordless drill
- Retractable utility knife
- Rubber mallet
- Marker or pen
- Tape measure
Step 3: Measure Your Space
Before you can install your railing, you’ll need to measure your space and mark your studs. This will help installation go smoothly and ensure a reliable end product. If you’re installing a railing on, say, a deck or patio, you may not have studs to work with; otherwise, be sure to mark the top and bottom of your installation space, as well as any studs you find along the way. You should also measure your rail segments before installation to ensure a perfect fit, cutting down any excess with your saw.
Step 4: Take It Step by Step
At this point, you’re ready to begin installation. As we mentioned above, each of our railings come with a distinct set of step-by-step directions that should be straightforward enough for any homeowner to follow.
Time to get started! Be sure to gather your equipment, take your time, and follow the step-by-step instructions to ensure a safe, reliable product. If you still have questions about railing installation, our experts are here to help.
Ready to install your own aluminum railing? When you need an expert who can walk you through purchasing and caring for an exterior aluminum railing or fencing system, MMC Fencing & Railing is here for you. In our online shop, we sell aluminum and vinyl railing in a variety of styles and colors. So no matter what you’re looking for and no matter how large or small your budget, you’re sure to find something beautiful. Give us a call at 866-931-5002 to get started or to ask about installation options. We look forward to hearing from you!