Last Updated: January 9, 2019
Believe it or not, some companies will exaggerate their products or services in order to make a sale. I know, I know . . . Who would have thought? Even “premium” fencing companies have been known to substitute inferior products, assuming the customer won’t notice the difference. So before you purchase a new fence, be sure to learn how to identify high quality vinyl fencing to ensure that you won’t be fooled. Of course, this could all be avoided by choosing the right company to begin with—a manufacturer that is reputable, respected, and reliable—but it never hurts to learn more about the ins and outs of superior fencing products.
High Quality Vinyl Fencing
WHY FENCE QUALITY MATTERS
Purchasing high quality vinyl fencing is an investment in your future and your property. Although it may be tempting to purchase the most affordable and attractive fence you can find, other features are far more important in the long run: maintenance, strength, and (most importantly) durability.
Over the years, the technology behind vinyl fencing has improved substantially. When vinyl first arrived on the scene it struggled with yellowing and sagging, but these issues have largely been eliminated through improved manufacturing and design strategies. Chemicals, stabilizers, and aluminum frames have all improved the state of vinyl fencing through the years.
However, because these enhancements increase the cost of production, some companies (especially big-box stores) value economy over durability. The low initial cost appeals to budget-minded customers, but due to the product’s poor quality and feeble structure, it won’t last long and will likely cost more in the long run. High quality vinyl fencing can save you money, will remain beautiful for many years to come, and won’t leave you in the lurch several years down the line.
HOW TO CHOOSE HIGH QUALITY VINYL FENCING
Now that you know why it’s so important that you select high quality vinyl fencing, you may be wondering how you can tell the difference between superior and substandard products. For help, use the following tips:
- Even if you’re on a tight budget, beware of extremely low prices. A price that’s “too good to be true” will likely reflect substandard quality.
- If a fence looks cheap, it probably is cheap—in both price and quality. Examine the wall thicknesses on the posts and fence panels. Thinner walls indicate that the quality is lacking, and the company may have been trying to save money by using less material. Don’t be fooled! In addition, check the lengths of your vinyl posts to be sure they aren’t shorter than they ought to be. Consumer grade vinyl fences often come with shorter posts.
- Pay attention to the fence’s interior reinforcement and design. Quality fences typically include reinforcement for added strength, such as interior ribbing on the pickets or galvanized steel reinforcements in the bottom rails to prevent sagging. In addition, check to see that the rails are routed as opposed to glued or screwed, and if you’re purchasing a privacy fence, look for tongue-and-groove pickets. Finally, pay close attention to the gates. Look for strong hardware (such as power-coated stainless steel), aluminum post stiffeners, and steel or aluminum frames.
- Understand that a visual inspection will not tell you everything you need to know about a fence’s quality. The recipe used to compose the vinyl is also crucial, as the components and the process used to glue them together will greatly influence the fence’s strength and durability. Just because a fence is thick and feels strong, that doesn’t mean it will perform well for years to come. Consider the ingredients and engineering as well. Is it made of virgin vinyl? Does it include UV inhibitors? Are its ingredients professional grade?
- Look for a product with an excellent warranty. That way, if something does go wrong, you can rely on the warranty for help. In addition, review the company’s reputation and history to be sure that they handle warranties with respect and generosity.
- Be sure that you purchase your fence from a reputable company that has been in the business a long time, providing years of experience and reliability. It’s not uncommon, unfortunately, for businesses to close their doors after just a few years, leaving customers in the lurch. In addition, only purchase a fence from a company that has excellent customer service, so that if you feel the fence is substandard in quality or requires a repair, you will feel confident contacting them for support. Be sure that you’re working with a professional, not a slapdash, capricious company.
WHERE TO FIND HIGH QUALITY VINYL FENCING
If you’re interested in adding a vinyl fence to your property, be sure to check out the selection offered at MMC Fencing & Railing. You might be interested in our PolyVinyl, PolyRail, and Designer fencing systems:
- PolyVinyl Fence Systems: The PolyVinyl system includes a variety of fence styles: privacy, semi-privacy, picket, and ornamental. Many of the sections are aluminum reinforced and include aluminum post stiffeners, and you can choose from a variety of post caps and classic colors. The gate systems feature corrosion-resistant screws for long-term strength, and adjustable hinge hardware provides accurate alignment. PolyVinyl fences are available in widths of 48″, 60″, and 72″ (36″ and 42″ are special order). Plus, they are all made in the USA!
- PolyRail Vinyl Fence Systems: The PolyRail system is a green series that provides inexpensive and lifelong beauty. The series includes privacy fences (tongue-and-groove), yard fences, picket fences, and post-and-rail fences, which are all available in white and tan. Interlocking fasteners ensure that the privacy fences are stable and secure, and matching gates are available for many of the product lines. Plus, heavy-duty frames are available for some of the post-and-rail fences, allowing for equine applications.
- Designer Fencing: The Designer Fencing system is available in three heights, 48″, 60″, and 72″, and aluminum frames can be purchased separately. There are nine standard in-fill colors (white and various shades of tan and light brown), and eleven colors for the aluminum components and gate frames (black, white, tan, gray, brown, and green). Plus, the product is wrapped in secure, three-step packaging to ensure that it arrives free of damage.
All of these options are affordable, beautiful, and virtually maintenance-free. Plus, our vinyl fencing systems all come with a transferable lifetime limited warranty! To get started, please visit our online store, request a quote, or give us a call at 1-866-931-5002.