Pets are some of the most important and beloved members of our families. That’s why it’s essential to keep them in mind when purchasing and installing a fence. What’s the best fence height for dogs, and why is buying the right fence vital for you and your canine pal?
Fence Height for Dogs
If you’re a dog person, you know a dog owner would do anything to keep their pet happy and healthy. Believe it or not, buying the right fence can be an essential part of dog ownership. Determining the right fence height for dogs can take some research, but it’ll result in peace of mind for yourself and your pet.
Why Are Fences for Dogs Important?
Does every dog owner need a fenced-in yard? Some people don’t like fencing their dogs in, or prefer solutions like invisible fence collars over a complete fence installation. However, those people are missing several important facts about why a good fence is a vital part of dog ownership:
- Dogs can accidentally be destructive or cause trouble in environments they don’t understand, like your neighbor’s yard. Keeping your dog at home will keep you and your neighbors happy.
- An unsupervised dog can get injured or even killed by larger animals, passing cars, and other dangers. A good fence will keep them safe at home where they belong.
- Dogs are happiest when they can enjoy the outdoors and get plenty of exercise. A solid fence in your yard can allow your dog to get all the outdoor time they need without requiring constant supervision.
- If you don’t like the look of a fence but want to keep a dog contained, you might think an invisible fence is a decent alternative. However, invisible fences don’t work with every dog and can even lead to injuries for the animal. A physical fence is a safer and easier boundary for a dog to understand.
What Fence Height Is Right for My Dog?
If you want to let your dog get plenty of exercise and enjoy your yard during the day, a good fence is a wise investment. Not every fence is going to be adequate for every kind of dog. When choosing the right fence height for dogs, there are some simple criteria you’ll want to keep in mind:
- For most small and medium-sized dogs with average to low energy levels, a fence of at least five feet will keep them safely contained.
- You will want a fence at least six feet tall if you have a medium-sized dog with high energy levels or a larger dog.
- For particularly large or aggressive dogs, a fence height of seven feet will usually be enough to contain them. If you aren’t sure if your dog qualifies, talk to their veterinarian.
- No matter what height you select, choose a fence that is difficult to climb and impossible to chew through. Fences with vertical pickets and spiked tops discourage climbing, and dogs cannot chew through metal fences, so aluminum fences tend to be a safe bet. We think that the Courtyard Aluminum Fence series is an excellent choice for dog owners.
Determining the best fence height for dogs can be a little tricky, so if you aren’t sure which fence to choose, give our sales team a call and we’ll walk you through your options.
When you need an expert who can help you check your measurements, select a new railing, or help you browse your railing options, MMC Fencing & Railing is here for you. In our online store, we sell aluminum and vinyl railing in various styles and colors. So no matter what you’re looking for and how large or small your budget, you’re sure to find something beautiful. Give us a call at 866-931-5002 to get started or to ask about installation options. We look forward to hearing from you!