Last Updated: March 1, 2018
So let’s say that you have a beautiful porch, deck, or balcony. During the day, it’s wonderful. You often sit there in the morning, drinking a cup of coffee, and you eat your lunch there on the weekends, enjoying the fresh air. You’ve even hosted get-togethers on your deck, and you can see that your guests enjoy the space and love your newly installed railings. But then – night falls! Suddenly everything changes. You would like to sit on your porch after dusk, relaxing and reading a good book, and you dream of hosting a dinner party on your deck, but your railing doesn’t have any lights. What will you do when the sun goes down? You could bring out lamps, buy a lantern, turn on your house lights . . . While viable solutions, these devices may not provide enough light and they may feel “tacked on.” Your best bet is to purchase some lights for railings. Don’t believe me? Scroll down to learn more.
First, let’s explore why you might wish to purchase lights for railings. You might think the answer is obvious, but people purchase railing lights for different reasons. And even if you primarily want to add lighting for a practical purpose (because you want to hang out on your deck at night, for example), you might be pleasantly surprised to learn the additional benefits provided by lights (like safety). Considering these benefits may also change your thought process as you shop for railing lights.
Why Should I Purchase Lights for My Railings?
1. To Improve the Safety of the Space
You’ve already enhanced the safety of your deck, porch, or balcony by installing railings. To further improve the space’s safety and security, add carefully placed lighting. This will accomplish several things:
- First, the lights will shine on the rails and any stairways, which will help people find them and see them. This should reduce the likelihood of someone falling down (or up) the steps.
- Second, the lights will illuminate any people on the deck. This will help parents keep an eye on their children, and ensure that people don’t run into one another. It will also allow you to see anyone approaching your home, whether a friendly neighbor, a deliveryman, or a suspicious figure in black.
- Third, the lights will help people notice any obstructions on the floor – plants, furniture, toys, a barbecue grill, etc. – so that no one trips over them. Rogue basketballs and perfectly potted plants won’t be able to hide in the dark.
- Fourth, you can leave the lights on if someone is coming home late, so that they aren’t fumbling for their keys in the dark and can unlock the door safely. This could also be helpful if you’re expecting a package late at night.
- Finally, keeping on the lights may deter burglars that are trying to approach unoccupied homes. A burglar may also avoid lights that feel like spotlights, preferring to creep around in the shadows.
2. To Show Off Your Railings
After you’ve purchased and installed new railings, you’ll want to show them off! Lights are a great way to shine a light on your handiwork and show off your railings when friends and family stop by. Plus, as we mentioned previously, illuminating your railings isn’t just aesthetically pleasing; it will also increase safety by helping people find their way.
3. To Create a Cohesive Design
Well-designed and carefully selected lights for railings will take your deck or porch to the next level when it comes to design. You won’t have to worry about matching lanterns or lamps to your railing product, which can sometimes be tricky. And instead of random lamps or glaring house lights, you will have lovely lights that are integrated into the overall design of the railing and the deck (or porch, balcony, etc.). This will help you create a more cohesive and eye-catching space.
4. To Upgrade the Ambience
In addition to unifying the design of the rails with the design of the lighting, railing lights will improve the atmosphere and ambience of your deck or porch. When you’re enjoying a dinner party, a quiet moment alone, or a glass of wine with your spouse, you might feel like you’re at a restaurant or a hotel due to the beautiful lighting. Never underestimate the importance of ambience, and remember that if you want a lovely, charming, and inviting ambience, lighting is key.
Where Can I Purchase Lights for Railings?
If you would like to purchase some gorgeous and efficient lights for railings, do yourself a favor and check out MMC Fencing & Railing. In our online shop, we sell a variety of Magena Star post lighting products. There are solar lights, side-mount lights, and low voltage lights, all of which come in an assortment of styles and colors, as well as wire gauges and transformer/timers. Check out these excellent options:
- Magena Star Solar Light – Multi-Layer Rectangular Edge: Designed to absorb powerful energy from the sun, this solar light comes with ribbed glass and 700 mA batteries. The lights can illuminate for up to 14 hours. This square-edge style can fit 2-inch and 2.5-inch posts, and it is available in black fine texture, brown fine texture, gloss white, satin black, and speckled walnut. This product is also available with a low-voltage light (7-watt bulb) in 2-inch and 2.5-inch sizes.
- Magena Star Solar Light – Flat Edge: This solar light is also designed to absorb powerful energy from the sun and comes with 700 mA batteries and ribbed glass. The lights can illuminate for up to 14 hours. This flat-edge style can fit 4-inch and 5-inch posts, and it is available in twelve finishes: black fine texture, brown fine texture, bronze fine texture, white fine texture, chocolate, gloss beige, gloss white, ninety bronze, sandy shore, satin black, and speckled walnut. This product is also available with a low-voltage light in the 4-inch size.
- Magena Star Side-Mount Light: A low-voltage light with a brilliant LED, this light can be mounted onto the sides of your railing posts. Its sleek, compact design complements a variety of railing styles.
Finally, if you’re interested in purchasing a new railing, we have aluminum and vinyl railing in a variety of models and colors. No matter what you’re looking for and no matter what your budget, you’re sure to find something beautiful. Give us a call at 1-866-931-5002 to get started.