Last Updated: August 19, 2020
As you’ve surely realized, railings are a handy part of any set of stairs – but they’re especially crucial on long stretches of stairs. Railings help improve a railing’s overall usability, especially for elderly patrons or individuals with different mobility levels who rely on railings for safety. For maximum accessibility, you might consider installing a continuous top rail, which is best achieved with a stair crossover post kit. If you’re interested, scroll down to learn more about installing a Westbury stair crossover. We’ve included videos alongside our step-by-step instructions to make the process even simpler.
Installing a Westbury Stair CrossoverARVE Error: src mismatch
src in: https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/agGqpTUp_5c?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque
src gen: https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/agGqpTUp_5cActual comparison
src in: https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/agGqpTUp_5c?wmode=opaque
src gen: https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/agGqpTUp_5c
What is a Stair Crossover?
First, let’s discuss the specifics of a stair crossover. Don’t confuse stair crossovers with crossover stairs; the latter are elements that allow employees to walk over conveyors, ducts, and other obstacles in industrial facilities. On the contrary, stair crossovers are often found in residential or commercial areas. Stair crossovers are designed to create a continuous top rail connection between two sections of high stair rails that might not otherwise connect. Take, for example, the Tuscany Stair Crossover Bracket by Westbury Aluminum, which makes it easy to add a stylish flair to your railing. Securely fitting on top of a 2 x 2 post, the crossover bracket allows for a graspable handrail all the way down your staircase. This helps friends and family get where they’re going safely – while helping you meet building code requirements.
Why Install an Aluminum Stair Crossover?
So, why choose an aluminum railing or stair crossover? There are several benefits to choosing aluminum as your railing material. Unlike many other railing materials, aluminum won’t fall victim to corrosion or rust. Aluminum is also famously durable in the face of tough weather like ice, snow, rain, and extreme UV rays. Additionally, aluminum railings won’t splinter, twist, shrink, or warp, ensuring your railing will maintain its aesthetic appeal for years. Finally, aluminum requires very little maintenance, whether you place your railing indoors or out. You won’t need to commit to any upkeep outside of a semi-regular cursory cleaning.
Customizing Your Stair Crossover
So, you’ve decided you want to install a stair crossover. We have several kinds of stair crossover brackets in stock, including three popular Westbury premium finishes: White Fine Texture, Black Fine Texture, and Bronze Fine Texture. We also offer special order and custom finishes to suit your needs. Worried about attaching your kit to a stair post? Don’t be – our crossover kit can easily swivel to match the angle of your stair railing.
Installing the Crossover Kit
As we mentioned before, a stair crossover kit is very useful if you have a long stair length but you want a continuous top rail. Fortunately, compared to many other types of railings, aluminum systems are relatively easy to install. As detailed below, the installation process is extremely simple if you take it step-by-step and make careful measurements and cuts.
- First, you will need to determine the height of the post, the location of the post, and the plane of the top rail.
- After you determine the plane of the top rail, you will have about two inches of flexibility with the crossover post. Cut the post using a chop saw.
- After that, you will need to install your post just as you would install any other post on stairs (for help, check out the video and instructions below).
- Once you have securely installed the post, reposition your bottom rail, top rail, and spindles to determine the needed length for the bottom and top rail. Cut these rails to the correct lengths using a chop saw and then attach your crossover kit.
Installing the Crossover Post
Once you’ve installed the crossover kit, you’ll need to install the crossover post using the following step-by-step instructions:
- Remove the post from the packaging.
- Determine where you will be positioning the post on your stairs.
- Remove the stainless steel shims that are attached to the post and set them to the side.
- Position the post and then mark its location on the stair. To do this, use your marker or pen and mark dots where you will be pre-drilling the holes. After that, go ahead and drill into these marks, creating your holes.
- Place the stainless steel shims in place. Make sure they run parallel with the railing system. They should also line up with the leveling plates on the post plate. Set the post back into place.
- Insert your 3/8″-diameter lags and drive them into the stair, ensuring that they fit snugly. Once you have turned the lags down about 7/8 of the way, pull out your level. Check that the post is level on all sides. Loosen or tighten the leveling bolts as needed using a wrench. When the post is level, you can finish tightening your lags.
- Repeat for any remaining posts.
Installing a Westbury stair crossover is easy, quick, and inexpensive. By following the instructions outlined above, you’ll have a new, highly accessible stair crossover in no time. If you haven’t yet purchased the Westbury aluminum railing that you will use with your stair crossover post kit, head on over to MMC Fencing & Railing. In our online store, you’ll find a variety of Westbury railing systems, including the Tuscany, Riviera, Montego, and Veranda styles. Beautiful, classic, and virtually maintenance-free, these railing systems will add a lasting value to your home. We also offer pre-assembled vertical stair sections, like the Westbury Verticable Stair Section, which includes standard stair mounts.
Now that you’ve explored installing a Westbury stair crossover, are you ready to make your selection? When you need an expert who can walk you through purchasing and caring for an exterior aluminum railing or fencing system, MMC Fencing & Railing is here for you. In our online shop, we sell aluminum and vinyl railing in a variety of styles and colors. So no matter what you’re looking for and no matter how large or small your budget, you’re sure to find something beautiful. Give us a call at 866-931-5002 to get started or to ask about installation options, or click here to request a quote. We look forward to hearing from you!